This article covers everything about INST Mohali. Get to know about its history, admissions process, courses offered, eligibility criteria, contact details and other important information related to it. Read the full article for full information.
About INST Mohali
Institute of Nano Science and Technology (INST) was established in January 2013. It is an autonomous institute in Mohali, Punjab of the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India. DST took the initiative to start this institute under the Nano mission to improve India’s reach, research and development in the field of Nano Science and Technology.
In 2020, the campus of INST shifted to Sector-81 of Mohali, which has over 35 acres of land. The Institute of Nano Science and Technology includes research programmes in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and interdisciplinary sciences. It also discusses issues in chemical biology, quantum materials, environment, nano-devices and in the field of energy.
Aim and Mission of the Institute
INST aims to gather engineers, biologists, chemists, physicists, material scientists together who have an affinity towards Nano Science and Technology. They can work together with the help of their knowledge in their respective fields using their passion and expertise.
The main aim of this institute is to come up with new technologies, solutions, processes in different sectors of – healthcare, defence, energy, environment, water and agriculture.
INST comes up with a lot of activities which contribute to some of the major programmes of importance to the nation, such as Swasth Bharat, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Smart Cities, Smart Villages, Make in India, Clean & Renewable Energy etc. The institute offers solutions and technologies to combat issues related to these programmes.
They also have a philanthropic programme called the “School adoption program”, which was launched in 2015. Through this program, the institute provides the required infrastructure, technological information and incentives to Government schools in India.
INST also design programmes for the rural and remote areas targeting the young generation to make them aware of the development technology and solutions.
The mission of INST is to generate solutions, devices and technologies for defence and commercialisation. They also aim to generate affordable devices for the healthcare sector.
INST Mohali Facilities
- Research Lab with a microscope, scattering system, analysers, fluorometer, calorimeter, rheometer, electrochemical workstation, diffractometer, surface profiler.
- Laboratory with Electron microscopes such as SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope), TEM (Transmission Electron Microscope), AFM (Atomic Force Microscope).
- Spectroscopies include UV-Vis spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy, UV-Vis spectroscopy, Photoluminescence spectroscopy.
- XRD (X-ray diffractometer), Thermogravimetric analysis, Differential Thermogravimetric analysis.
- Library with around 400 books in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Seminar Hall, computer centre with good speed internet for study or related work. Auditoriums, State-of-art instruments.
INST Mohali Administration
There is a board of Governors consisting of researchers, administrators, academicians who manage the Institute of Nano Science and Technology. Dipankar Das Sharma is the chairman of this institute and the founding chairman is C.N.R. Rao of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Jakkur, Bangalore.
Ashok K Ganguli was the director of this institute when it started in January 2013. From January 2018 to March 2020, Hirendra Nath Ghosh was the director. Amitava Patra has been the current director since 11 March 2020.
Significant areas of research of the institute
The major areas of research where The Institute of Nano Science and Technology wants to research are Device Physics, Sensors, Agriculture Nanotechnology, Medical Nanotechnology, Nano Biotechnology, Quantum materials and Device Physics, Nano technology-based solutions and devices related to energy and environment.
Units of The Institute of Nano Science and Technology
The three departments or units of this institute are Energy and Environment Unit, Chemical Biology Unit, Quantum Material and Devices Unit.
Sector – 81, Knowledge City, Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar, Punjab, Pin – 140306
Monday – Friday (9 am – 5 pm)
0172 221 0075, 2210057, 2210056
Courses Offered in INST Mohali
The courses offered in INST Mohali are:
Duration – 3 years
Duration – 2 years
3. Research Internship
Duration – Minimum 3 months
Maximum 12 month
4. Project Fellowship
The students are selected on the basis of ranks obtained in entrance exams like GATE/CSIR or UGC-NET/JEST/JGEEBILS (TIFR/NCBS)/ICMR-JRF/DBT-JRF/DST-INSPIRE/GPAT.
For Ph.D Programmes in INST Mohali
Steps for admission in Ph.D programme:
- You can apply if you have a degree of M.Sc. or M.Pharm or M.Tech degree, in general,/Applied Sciences/Engineering or similar fields. Final year students who can produce the degree at the time of joining can also apply.
- Visit the official website of INST Mohali. Download the application form and fill all the information required carefully.
- The candidates should send the filled form and Synopsis to email@example.com as an advance copy.
- Then the candidate has to send some of the documents along with the application form. This needs to be sent to the permanent address of the institute, which is – The Habitat Centre, Phase – 10, Sector – 64 Mohali – 160062.
The documents include:
- Photograph of the Candidate
- Age Certificate
- Candidate’s Educational Qualification (Mark Sheet, Degrees and Certificate of Class 10, 12 and Bachelor’s/Graduate degree, Master Degree Final Marksheet.
- Work Experience certificate in case of a working candidate.
- SC/ST/OBC/PH category certificate – valid and self-attested copies.
After the shortlisting process is completed, the selected candidates are invited for an interview. Post the discussion, the candidates will be again shortlisted. A form with the names of the selected candidates will go on the official website.
The institute pays for the travel expenses of the candidate for Rail (Sleeper Class) or Non-AC bus. Candidates need to show the tickets as proof.
The candidate must pay the application fees online to the bank account INST Mohali. You must mention your full name during the transaction. For the General, OBC, and EWS categories, there is a fee of INR 590. For SC.ST, and PH category, there is a fee of INR 295.
Account Name: Director, INST Mohali
Account Number: 2452201001102
IFSC Code: CNRB0002452
BANK: CANARA BANK, Sector 34A, Chandigarh 160022
Application Procedure in INST Mohali for Internship Programmes
If you are a candidate from any Basic Sciences/Applied Sciences/Engineering Institutes/Universities, you are eligible to apply for an Internship at INST Mohali. The scientist or supervisor needs to agree to guide the candidate applying for the Internship.
- The candidates seeking for an Internship can fill the application form online.
- Upload all the required documents as required and make sure that the documents are scanned properly. Low-quality scans or blurred copies of the documents will be rejected.
- The senior authorities go through the candidates. The institute sends an e-mail to the selected candidates.
Application Dates of Internship Programmes
Application Date: 1st March – 21st March
Duration of Programme: May – July
Short Term Internship
Application Date: 1st April – 21st April
Duration of Programme: June – December (3-6 months)
Applications are accepted throughout the year.
Duration of programme: 1 year
The institute does not provide any stipend to the interns in INST Mohali. Students need to bear their own expenses. There is a Funded Internship program only for the ST candidates where they get an allowance of INR 10,000 every month for Research Projects in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
INST Mohali Faculty
The Institute of Nano Science and Technology has a notable faculty consisting of scientists, researchers. The faculty here is well-experienced and well-qualified with Ph.D degrees and various research papers published in the field of Nano Science and Technology.
There are a total number of 36 scientists and a total of 14 administrative staff.
Professor Amitava Patra is the Director of INST Mohali. Some of the notable faculty members from the Institute of NanoScience and Technology are:
Dr Debabrata Patra is the Associate professor of this institute. His academic qualifications are B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D.
Prof. H. N. Ghosh is the Professor of this institute. His academic qualifications are B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D.
Dr. Jayamurugan Govindasamy is the Associate Professor of this institute. His academic qualifications are B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D.
Dr. Kamalakannan Kailasam is the Professor of this institute. His academic qualifications are B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D.
Dr. Menaka Jha is the Scientist-C of this institute. His academic qualifications are B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D.
Dr. Monika Singh is the Scientist-C of this institute. His academic qualifications are B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D.
Dr. Prakash P. Neelakandan is the Associate Professor of this institute. His academic qualifications are B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D.
Dr. Ramendra Sundar Dey is the Scientist-C of this institute. His academic qualifications are B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D.
Dr. Sonalika Vaidya is the Assistant Professor (Scientist-D) of this institute. His academic qualifications are B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D.
Dr.Tapasi Sen is the Assistant Professor (Scientist-D) of this institute. His academic qualifications are B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D.
Dr. Vivek Bagchi is the Scientist-C of this institute. His academic qualifications are B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D.
INST Mohali combines fundamental science with advancements in technologies to deal with the problems which are of national and global importance.
For more information, visit the official website of the institute and the Facebook page.